Over time sterling silver, brass and copper will naturally develop a patina, especially when exposed to heat and humidity. All three metals clean up very easily with mild soap and warm water.
Our brass and copper pieces are sealed with several layers of a microcrystalline wax polish to preserve the finish and help delay the aging process.
Tips to help keep your jewelry looking new:
- Always remove your jewelry before bed, showering or swimming.
- Remove rings when washing hands.
- Avoid leaving jewelry in the bathroom as heat and humidity accelerate the oxidation process.
- Store sterling silver jewelry in a ziplock bag.
- Why does copper and brass turn my finger green and is it harmful? Although it does not happen to everyone brass & copper can cause the dreaded green finger. This happens because our fingers sweat and produce oils which are then trapped under the ring causing it to react with the copper or brass. While it is unsightly, it is completely harmless and washes off easily with soap & water. The green finger is easily preventable by keeping the fingers & the ring clean, dry & free from oils.
- What is Gold Filled jewelry and how is it different from Gold Plated Jewelry? Gold filled jewelry is composed of a solid layer of gold that has been bonded with heat and pressure to a base metal such as brass. Gold plated jewelry is literally dipped into liquid gold, thus plating the metal. Gold plated jewelry will wear through to the base metal much more easily than gold filled jewelry, as gold filled jewelry is made up of a thicker layer of gold. The beauty of gold filled jewelry is that it looks, feels and wears just like karat gold, but at a fraction of the cost. With the proper care gold filled jewelry can last 30 years or more.